Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Good? Great? What's the difference?

This a serious post... well, it's going to try and be... 

I've found myself in a bit of turmoil recently.  Something that has really bothered me on the inside.

What makes a great photograph?  What makes a good photograph?
Professionals, art designers, those "in the craft" can answer this.  They can tell you about the lighting you are using, the style of light you are using, the details of the picture... the exposure... why a picture is "great" (or at least good).

That's great... I strive to be there.  I want to shoot GREAT photos!

But there's a problem with this... these are only a few individuals that are in a circle - a select group that as an amateur I'll never have access to.

I'm left with the "general public".  You know... the monsters that made American Idol famous... or that Glee show.  The people that watch shows about someone named Snooki or The Situation.

The heartbeat of today's pop culture.  The same people that YouTube their favorite videos, tweet about where they are at every waking minute, Facebook their deep thoughts from their smart phones while they are sitting on the toilet.

I'm as guilty as the rest.  I constantly am playing with my phone like a child with A.D.D.

So this begs the question... as an amateur photographer... this is your market... your group.  And they have no idea (or care?) about lighting, focus, etc, etc, etc... 

I say all this because of this weird trend I see.

The "Facebook Syndrome" I'll call it.  I made it up - but follow me for a minute.

Anyone can post pictures of just about anything... at anytime... from anywhere.  Uploads a picture of you at a baseball game... check.  Upload a picture of you at a birthday party looking pretty... check.

And here's where the "syndrome" bugs me to death... A blurry picture of someone sitting in front of their bathroom mirror, lips puckered up, hair teased... and they get 200 comments of "how great they look".  


Others spend years dedicating to the craft of photography.  Thousands of dollars on gear... Hours of set up... Strive to raise that bar... All for what?  Nothing really... haha

I laugh (or at least type that I am laughing) because of the oddity I find behind it.  

Am I walking down a dying path?  If so... I have a few thousand dollars worth of gear I should probably Ebay away.

I suppose the same can be said about music, right?  Everyone's got their own taste.  Me... I "hate" a lot types of music.  I am NOT one of those "Oh, I listen to anything" types.  Far from it.  All my favorite bands probably died from a drug problem in the 70's.... (insert heavy sigh)

Onward I strive to hit that moment of photographic nirvana.  That perfect picture... If even only for myself... 

Who knows... maybe someday that small circle of those "in the know" can be my guiding hand...


Till then...  the only star I'll dance with is my wife.  She's my shooting star!


I'd love to hear your thoughts on this - please feel free to leave a comment!


- jermz



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, you shouldn't really be concerned with what the "general public" or people with the "facebook syndrome" think. If you want to make great photographs, don't aspire to please or impress the "general public". Aspire to impress professionals, people with experience, people who know what they're talking about. Actually, your biggest motivation should be to make a photograph that YOU think is great. You don't have to be in a "circle" to make great photographs. All you need is the equipment (which you already have), a desire to learn and get better everyday, and just keep shooting!